[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Luc Menut lmenut at free.fr
Sun Mar 11 12:02:41 CET 2012

Le 10/03/2012 23:49, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am 10.03.2012 23:46, schrieb Juan Luis Baptiste:
[...]
>> Right now, the splitting of the handbook packages will use the same
>> bandwidth as before. As Anssi said, before the handbooks came bundled
>> with the owner package, so they were also being installed. So
>> bandwidth wise, is still the same as before the splitting.
>>
> I haven't looked into it, but perhaps we could install those handbooks
> as Suggests instead of Requires (or is it already done that way?).
> Then people wanting to save bandwidth could just install using
> "--no-suggests".

I don't agree. Handbooks are fully part of a kde install; they should be
installed, and shouldn't be removed. A kde install without handbooks is
a damaged kde install. Do you think that the kde doc team will continue
to work on handbooks if each distrib don't install its work?
That's why, personally I think the exact opposite; each component should
*requires* its handbook (but probably it won't work with LiveCD).

John split handbooks in sub-packages for technical reason (LiveCD
excludes docs, and we had no easy way to install handbooks after an
install from LiveCD). This shouldn't be used to uninstall all the kde
documentation.

regards,
Luc

--