[Mageia-discuss] Mailing list migration: this list is closing

Ludovic Meyer ludo.v.meyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 09:33:42 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:02:18PM -0400, andre999 wrote:
> nicolas vigier a écrit :

> >The only way currently is to create an identity account for each address
> >you want to use. We can look if it would possible to support an other
> >way to do it, but I don't know if that's possible. And of course any
> >suggestion about how sympa could be configured to manage multiple email
> >addresses with only one ldap account is welcome.
> >

> I don't know if this is easily configurable, but the online
> documentation for sympa 6.1 has an example that seems to permit
> filtering by multiple addresses with ldap.
> see http://www.sympa.org/manual/authorization-scenarios#search_condition
>
> Their example shows both
>  salaun at cru.fr
> and
>  O.salaun at cru.fr
> being accepted with the same filter, whereas only the first is coded
> as such.
>
> This seems to offer interesting possibilities, allowing users to
> have alternate email adresses with different prefixes of their ldap
> adresse.
> (by automatically adding * to the beginning of user ldap adresses.)
> The code could require a minimum length to minimise false positives,
> and/or add the * just before @.
>
> Would this work, and without too much effort ?

The goal of having 1 unified login is to reduce ( usually in a company ) the amount
of support of helpdesk, and the work of user because they need to have 1 login/password.

This also prevent login conflict, since there is 1 single place where this is resolved
for uniqueness.

Your suggestion will just increase the support time due to increased complexity, and so
reduce the time avaliable for the sysadmin team, since from what I see, they are in
charge of the servers, and the function of support.

So if you think they have no better way to spend their time and that this is so
"business critical" to permit to have a mess regarding who said what, sure, go ahead
and provides a patch. If I am not wrong, the configuration is on :
http://svnweb.mageia.org/adm/puppet/modules/sympa/

But if the only goal is to satisfy the special need of a few unique snowflakes, that's not really a
good move.

--
L.