[Mageia-i18n] [Transifex.net] Project for training purposes

Jerzy Trzeciak artusek at wp.pl
Tue Feb 1 16:59:26 CET 2011

W dniu 01.02.2011 15:48, Thorsten van Lil pisze:
> Hey Jerzy,
>
> thanks for your work.
>
> Do you know if there is an option to achieve the following behaviour:
>
> * Every team-member should be able to propose new translations, but
> only the coordinator should commit them.
> (* Also interesting could be, if also not team-member can propose
> translations.)
> * Is it possible to work on an translation without locking the
> translation?
>
> As I don't find such settings in the German team profile, I think you
> as the maintainer has the power to. :)
>
> Regards,
> Thorsten aka TeaAge

Hi Thorsten,

I am not transifex guru, but will try to explain a bit access control in
project.

First, citation from Transiex Help:

"You can control the way people access your project’s translators using
the “Access Control” tab on the Project Details page.

You may choose one of the following three options:

    *

      Free for all:

          Choose this option to allow any logged-in (registred) user to
          submit files to your project. Recommended for quick
          translations, and when a pre-commit review process is in
          place, e.g. when contributions are submitted by email or to a
          separate branch.

    *

      Limited access:

          Give access to specific people. Translations teams will have
          access to their language’s files only, and global writers will
          have access to all translation files. Recommended for most
          projects.

    *

      Outsourced access:

          Re-use another project’s teams and writers by trusting access
          control to that project. If a person can contribute to that
          project, it can contribute to this one as well. Recommended
          for non-upstream projects such as distribution packages,
          desktop environment modules, etc."

The projects I have created are under "Limited access". It means team
coordinators and members are allowed to translate online or submit their
translations to the project (within team language). So, in your case, it
means six people can submit their work without any restrictions.
Coordinators have rights to manage their team, i.e. add or remove members.
Since project is of public type, everybody can download translation file
and translate it. But the only way to submit new or updated translation
is through respective team coordinator/member.
IMO for teams with experienced translators it is not a problem to give
commit privileges for greater number of people. For newer teams is
better to set coordinator only for a given project and he(she) will
upload them to Transifex.
Please note, that there is also available discussion on the translation.
You can share your doubts with others, agree the solution and update
translation. And history of discussion will be stored.

It is similar to KDE translation teams. I am a member of Polish team.
All my translations I send via e-mail to team coordinator and she
commits them to svn. It works quite fine.

Unlocking translation
Go to project overview => project resources => you will see small
padlock. Click the padlock, or tanslation name and unlock translation in
pop-up window.

I hope it helps :)

Regards,
Jerzy aka Jerzy, JerzyT, artusek, grandfather of three 5 to 7 years old
experienced linux users :)